WordPress Juli in short.
At the end of Juli we can almost taste the release of WordPress 5.5 scheduled for August 11, 2020. This update will be packed with developer goodies like auto updates for themes and plugins, a new filter for archive page headings, new block api’s, some changes the get_custom_logo function, custom line-heights and units for core blocks, a new wp_get_environment_type function, the option to pass arguments to template files, changes to the Wp Rest Api including some new endpoint, an updated jQuery version, the new block patterns concept, some new dashicons and even more to check out here and here.
This upcoming release will also feature XML Sitemap functionality and native lazy-loading of image being pulled into core.
- Frontity is React for WordPress by Chris Coyier.
- Setting up your first Gutenberg project by Leonardo Losoviz.
- Introducing headless WordPress with Gatsby cloud by Hashim Warren.
- Creating a Gatsby site with WordPress data by Ganesh Dahal.
- Essentials for building your first Gutenberg block by Leonardo Losoviz.
- Upcoming in WordPress 5.5: Features and changes theme authors should know about by Justin Tadlock.
- WordPress powered landing pages on a totally different site via Cloudflare workers by Chris Coyier.
- How to avoid technical debt in WordPress by WPCasts.
- Post a lot of code? Try the code syntax block plugin for WordPress by Justin Tadlock.
- What’s new in Php 8 and what does that mean by Josip Opačić.
- Everything you need (and don’t need) to know about Php’s type system by Níckolas Da Silva.
- Why we need named arguments in Php by Brent.
- Php 8: before and after by Brent.
- Keen-slider is a free library agnostic touch slider.
- Vest is a form validations library for JS apps that derives its syntax from modern JS frameworks by Evyatar Alush.
- Memorize scroll position across page loads by Chris Coyier.
- A look at React Router 6 by Carl.
- How to set up a React app with Parcel by Bob Ziroll.
- Build and publish a custom React hook package on Npm by Niall Maher.
- Styling layout wrappers In Css by Ahmad Shadeed.
- Modern Css techniques to improve legibility by Edo Cavazza.
- Mailgo a new concept of mailto and tel links.
- Simple wave pattern with CSS gradients by Ross Angus.
- CSS Vocabulary by Ville V. Vanninen and Workflower.
- Modern Css grid solutions to common layout problems by Kevin Pennekamp.
- Make it blink Html tutorial – How to use the blink tag, with code examples by Colby Fayock.
- Intermediate Css with Kyle from Web Dev Simplified (Flexbox, Grid, Custom Properties, and more!) by James Q Quick.
- Four ways to align boxes horizontally, each in under three lines of Css by Robert Mion
- Secret to good programming? Documentation Driven Development by Stephen Miracle.
- My tips on learning how to code by Stephan Nijman.
- Concise code Isn’t always clean code – and here’s why by Kenny Dubroff.
- How to gain experience as a web developer? Powerful ideas for code newbies by Nimrod Kramer.
- How to prepare for a technical interview by Opene Victoria.
- Tips for writing a better Cv – Web developer jobs by Niall Maher.
- How to finish your side project by Hugo Zapata.
If you have any suggestions for good article or resources please do let me know! You can follow me on twitter @Vanaf1979 or on Dev.to @Vanaf1979 to be notified about the next article in this series, and other WordPress development related stuff.
Stay safe and have a great August.