WordPress July in short.
The month of Juli has been relatively calm for WordPress with no core updates. There was, however, the release of Gutenberg 6.1 with various improvements and bug fixes. In addition, the php coding standards have been updated to make use of more modern php syntax.
There also was a pretty cool plug-in release for developers. Namely WPGraphQL for Advanced Custom Fields. This plugin is a add-on to WPGraphQL and enables you to communicate with your Advanced Custom Field data using GraphQL Queries.
WordPress tutorials and resources.
- Video: Headless WordPress with WPGraphQL, ACF, and React by Alex Young.
- WordPress Performance & Digging into PHP by Lizzie Kardon.
- Leveraging the Power of Custom Elements in Gutenberg by Felix Arntz.
- Middleware for WordPress Api by Chris Arter.
- Wordup CLI is an open-source development toolkit for setting up and managing your local WordPress Theme/Plugin development by WordUp.
- Extending Gutenberg With SlotFill and Filters by 10up.
- Load ACF fields via PHP without losing importability by Jacob Bearce.
- Getting gutenberg block data in the REST API by Jonny Harris.
- Headless WordPress: Updating User Settings by Igor Benić.
Web development tutorials and resources.
- Designing And Building A Progressive Web Application Without A Framework part 1, part 2 and part 3 by Ben Frain.
- Adding Multiple Coding Standards with Composer by Tom McFarlin.
- Coda will become Nova by Panic.
- Scrimba course: Learn CSS Grid for free by Per Harald Borgen.
- Typed properties in PHP by Brent.
- What’s New in PHP 7.4 (Features, Deprecations, Speed) by Carlo.
- A simple Git guide and cheat sheet for open source contributors by Saheed Oladele.
- Making width and flexible items play nice together by Robin Rendle.
- DarkmodeJs: Utility package for managing Dark Mode on the web by Luke Whitehouse.
Have a great August.