WordPress March in short:
WordPress, now powering one-third of the web, had two releases in March. The 5.1.1 Security and Maintenance Release introduces some (security) fixes and enhancements and aims to prepare users for the minimum PHP version bump in WordPress 5.2 (scheduled for April 30th) from PHP 5.5 to 5.6.
WordPress 5.2 Beta 1, brings significant (performance) improvements on the block editor, introduces some new blocks and adds a block management tool to switch blocks on and off. WordPress 5.2 will also let plugin developers specify the minimum version of PHP that they support.
(WordPress) Updates and releases:
- March 27th: WordPress 5.2 Beta 1.
- March 13th: Sublime Text 3.2 With Git Integrated.
- March 12th: WordPress 5.1.1 Security and Maintenance Release.
- March 12th: Atom 1.35.
- Notable: A new “Coda” is comming soon.
WordPress tutorials and resources:
- WordPress + React: how to create a modern web app using WordPress by Bret Cameron.
- An interesting idea: Using WordPress as an API for Laravel by Plint Sites.
- Add custom sections to the customizer on your WordPress theme by Gonzalo Stoll.
- Read how to start Using Composer with WordPress by Leonardo Losoviz.
- Tom Gerber talks about Gutenberg love and which add-on blocks to use?
- Staging WordPress sites for beginners: 3 ways by OneExtraPixel.
- WordPlate is a modern WordPress stack built with Composer. By Vincent Kłaiber.
- Here’s how to start Debugging WordPress theme load performance with Chrome DevTool by Adel Tahri.
- A Gutenberg Tutorial for Beginner Developers: Create Your First Block Plugin by Codeinwp.
- My article WordPress: Laravel Mix, Sass and ES6 Modules in theme developmen by Vanaf1979.
Web development tutorials and resources:
- Here’s a nice Animate on scroll library: AOS by Michał Sajnóg.
- Check out the brand new Google Test My Site by Think with Google.
- Responsive lazy loading images with LazySizes by Alexander Farkas.
- Getting started with Animate.css by Hudson Taylor.
- Changing navbar style based on scroll by Minhee Kang.
- A nice read about Preload, prefetch and other <link> tags by Ivan Akulov.
- Things nobody ever taught me about CSS by Charlie Gerard.
- Hera are 10 HTML elements you didn’t know you needed by Emma Wedekind.
- Caleb Williams on Crafting reusable HTML templates.
- Automatically calculates the appropriate font size with RFS.
WordPress questions on Quora:
- How do you create a WordPress website or blog using cPanel?
- What’s the best cache plugin for WordPress in 2019?
- What can I do to minimize the site loading time of my WordPress blog? Will this improve my SEO?
- Other than WordPress, what is PHP used for 2019?
Have a great April.