WordPress February in short.
With WordPress 5.4 around the corner (Planned for release on March 31th) there have been a lot of Dev Notes published on the Make Core Blog for us developers to read. I have listed them below for you to cherry pick.
- Formal deprecation of some unused Customizer classes in WordPress 5.4.
- Changes related to Calendar Widget markup in WordPress 5.4.
- An updated Button component in WordPress 5.4.
- WordPress 5.4 introduces apply_shortcodes() as an alias for do_shortcode().
- Enhancements to favicon handling in WordPress 5.4.
- Block editor keyboard shortcuts in WordPress 5.4.
- New hooks let you add custom fields to menu items.
- New Blocks in WordPress 5.4.
- Introduce Block variations API.
- Block collections.
- New @wordpress/create-block package for Block scaffolding.
- REST API Changes in 5.4.
- And Miscellaneous developer focused changes in WordPress 5.4.
Besides all these Dev Notes there were the announcements that both Navigation block and Lazy Loading will not be included in the 5.4 release. If you want you can still test out the Lazy-Loading feature plugim and the WordPress 5.4 Beta 3 release.
- Video: 3 methods for Ajax in WordPress. Which method is the best? by Alex Young.
- Enterprise headless WordPress by Sammi Sinno.
- Seo for headless WordPress themes by Reyes Martínez.
- 5 Ways to create a WordPress plugin settings page by Iain Poulson.
- Bootstrapping WordPress projects with Composer and WP-CLI by Leo.
- Close unclosed HTML tags in PHP/WordPress by Kuba Mikita.
- Working on Trac Tickets Using GitHub Pull Requests
- WordPress Hook Autocompletion for VS Code by John Blackbourn.
- WordPress snippet #004, #005, #006 and #007 by Stephan Nijman.
- Switching between multiple Php versions on macOS by Mark Hesketh.
- PHP 7 can do that? by Julien Maury.
- Video: Tips for cleaner code: Cleaning up IF statements by Codecourse.
- The snobby demonization of Php by Adam Nathaniel Davis.
- Video: How to refactor complex if statements by Freek Van der Herten.
- ResizeObserver: A new powerful tool for the responsive web by Khrystyna Skvarok.
- Sharect: Let users share their text selections to social networks by Estevan Maito.
- Popper: Tooltip & popover positioning engine.
- How to create a more readable Css by Elad Shechter.
- Animating Css width and height without the squish effect by Rik Schennink.
- Flexing your Html footer to the screen bottom by C.B.W.
- Fixed headers and jump links? The solution is scroll-margin-top by Chris Coyier.
- Video: Full tutorial on how to use Sass to improve your Css by Adrian Twarog.
- Sass for Css: Advance your frontend skills with Css preprocessor by Amanda Fawcett.
- Applying CSS :focus-within by Gift Egwuenu.
- Firefox DevTools will show you which element is the one with scrollable overflow by Tomek Sułkowski.
- CSS object-fit and object-position properties: Crop images embedded in HTML by Martin Michálek.
- A complete guide to data attributes by Chris Coyier.
- When Css blocks by Tim Kadlec.
- GitHub needs your feedback on their new (beta) Cli.
- MassCode: A free and open source code snippets manager.
- Ionicons: Beautifully crafted open source icons.
- Firefox add-on for Google Lighthouse!
- How to make your first pull request on GitHub by MV Thanoshan.
- How to keep yourself motivated as a software developer by Carol Pelu.
- Accessibility dont’s, Learn from basic mistakes in web design by Adam Laki.
If you have any suggestions for good article please do let me know! Follow me on twitter @Vanaf1979 or on Dev.to @Vanaf1979 to be notified about the next article in this series, and other WordPress development related stuff.
Have a great March.