WordPress January in short.
In January there were two new releases of the Gutenberg editor. Besides a lot of bug fixes and enhancements Version 7.2 included a new Button block that can now have multiple buttons side by side, Links for images in media and text blocks, Image size selector for the Gallery block and font sizes for the navigation block.
Version 7.3 included text and background colors for the navigation block and some new Api’s like the ability to add block collections.
Besides new Gutenberg versions there were also two Feature plugin releases for XML Sitemaps and native lazy-loading of images in core.
- Video: Faster AJAX calls with the WordPress rewrite API by Alex Young.
- Flynt: The component based WordPress starter theme for developers by Bleech.
- How does Url rewriting work internally in WordPress by Pramod Jodhani.
- How to use the starter content in WordPress themes by Igor Benić.
- Lumberjack is a powerful Mvc framework for the modern WordPress developer by Rareloop.
- Building a blog using Frontity and WordPress by Reyes Martínez.
- Video: How to eliminate render-blocking resources in WordPress by Alex Young.
- Headless WordPress: React router pagination by Igor Benić.
- Controlling the block editor by Riad Benguella.
- Embrace the modularity by Riad Benguella.
- A complete guide to WordPress multisite by Manish Dudharejia.
- WordPress snippet #001, #002, #003 by Stephan Nijman.
- PHP in 2020 by Brent.
- New in PHP 8 by Brent.
- Sal.js a lightweight scroll animation library.
- Headroom.js Hide your header until you need it by Nick Williams.
- The React cheatsheet for 2020 + real-world examples by Code Artistry.
- The differences between forEach() and map() that every developer should know by Ibrahima Ndaw.
- 24 modern ES6 code snippets to solve practical JS problems by Madza.
- 5 best practices to write quality arrow functions by Dmitri Pavlutin.
- How to (unit) test in React by Onoufrios Malikkides.
- Min and max width/height in Css by Ahmad Shadeed.
- Dynamic dark themes with Css by Cory Rylan,
- Why you should choose HTML5 Article over Section by Bruce Lawson.
- How to understand and work with Css margins by Kevin Powell.
- Understanding the “Initial”, “Inherit” and “Unset” Css keywords by Elad Shechter.
- 300 CSS properties with examples.
- Cook: A CLI tool to create universal boilerplates by Eyk.
- Web accessibility basics for web developers by Master Owl.
If you have any suggestions for good article please do let me know! Follow me on twitter @Vanaf1979 or on Dev.to @Vanaf1979 to be notified about the next article in this series, and other WordPress development related stuff.
Have a great February.